Thursday, October 14, 2010

Transportation, Illustration Friday



Back when I was a kid, we didn' t have school buses. They existed, we just didn't live far enough from our schools to be able to ride them. Except for two years in junior high, we were always located on the farthest boundary where the districts determined who would walk or who would be bussed. Rides were given on rainy days, if we were lucky. Needless to say, my shoes were always worn out before the next pair replaced them.
As usual, I pondered what I'd offer Illustration Friday this week, while walking my dogs. Transportation, as I learned as a kid, meant feet. As in "Trick or treat, smell my feet!" I hope the tradition of kids on foot, dressed in their costumes and pleading for candy continues. It's one night of the year that we actually see some of our neighborhood kids on foot! And yes, we'll still be handing out the treats!

12 comments:

  1. How fun! love this illo! Great job! and I am sure alot of stinky little feet this year! Halloween is my favorite "holiday". Warm memorable story too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful illustration, Michele. So much energy and fun! And, as always, I really enjoyed what you had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's that time of the year. Don't you just love Halloween when the kids have such a great time dressing up. Reading about your experience was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those feet have so much character! Yes by foot is a great way to travel!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michele, I grew up in London and in those days only school children who lived more than 3 miles away from their school were entitled to a bus pass which gave them free travel on the public buses. Like you I JUST didnt live quite far enough away and so my feet did the walking to school! I think your ilio would get there super fast with all those feet involved. Really fun interpretation of the IF theme this week!
    Love Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! It looks just like the kids in my neighborhood! terrific stuff, as always. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful!! And works for Spooky too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOh the joy of halloweeny captured in your illustration! I can smell the candy corns already. Amazing work! You've done it again.
    Have a happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always envied the kids who could walk to school. Didn't it beat standing around in the snow waiting for frostbite? Maybe we all had it rough? Kids today get curb service in my neighborhood. We're tougher than they'll ever understand!

    I love Halloween too. Fun illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi! awww manny monsters! i adore halloween! is so colorfull with the orange of the pumpkins!
    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that' so nice. Think of the leg muscles you had!

    Wonderful joyous vigorous and dynamic! And that's just the illustration.

    You know we hide from the kids here. Or give them oranges and apples cause I always forget to buy lollies!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated!