Thursday, August 18, 2016

Origami, Illustration Friday

De-liver De-letter De-sooner De-better!
If you're old enough to remember a time when kids only knew "texts" as what was printed inside books and on papers, then you might have passed notes in this fashion- a notebook paper folded stealthily to conceal important, private messages for friends' eyes only.
Who would have guessed that all these decades later, Illustration Friday would post the week's theme of "Origami," which would be my cue to break out a sheet of paper, sit down and fold it, create a colored pattern from the actual folded page, then type a digital message that could be viewed by anyone with an internet connection or the inclination to take a peek?
Whew. And I actually remembered how to do this...Maybe a little too easily, suggesting that perhaps I spent too much time passing notes way back when?
But back to presentations, paper folding and kids, I'll confess that a bit of familiarity with origami has bailed me out on more than one occasion. In junior high, I recall conceptualizing an "eleventh hour" presentation when I realized that the folds in the paper left patterns of geometric designs. Somehow, it occurred to me that the shapes and angles related to our lessons. I simply folded and unfolded a few examples, stuck them on a poster board in illustrated vignettes, handily filling space and (BAM!) turned that project in the following day. I remember being relieved (and very surprised) to discover that Mrs. Stephenson gave it the highest score possible.
Yeah, that was a LONG time ago. Let's just try to keep the focus on happy current events, here. My hands are still capable of folding paper, only recently it's been for fun, with cash and nothing "top secret" about it. From tutorials found on the internet, I discovered how to make flowers out of dollar bills, folding (folding and folding) then attaching these to braided ribbons, creating leis. They'll stay fresh and everlasting as long as the recipient wants, no need for refrigeration. This technique has come in handy for a few gifts this summer- However, these projects do require more time, effort and planning...And maybe additional room in another post!

Unfolded, colored envelope page
used to create repeat pattern

SaveSave

4 comments:

  1. What a cool pattern the envelope page leaves Michele...yes indeed in our days text was text! Good to see you posting and looking forward to those other clever things you have been making. Happy August my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love folding paper too. All the possibilities that it opens up, including simple book arts and even paper jewelry! That's great how you used origami to explain geometry. It just goes to show how vital art education can be. Enjoy the rest of the summer Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay left you a message on my blog to reply not sure if you get it. But, Okay you are awesome and still blogging away. I love this post because I always had huge eyes to do it and try it out and be like "oh, oh okay its a bird" big smile and it was just awful. But presentation is key! Awesome you did that display report and thought of it! Very cool! I have been determined to try to do it again after just seeing a japanese paper art show. Drooling. Which was amazing! I guess I will buy that origami pokemon and do it with my daughter. That will work! Great to hear from you. If you are on instagram im under annpilicerillustrates! hope to see you there 2! :) Sorry for all the blah blah blah! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did quite a bit of paper folding too, but I never got an A for it! Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated!